The way you start each day is incredibly important. My grandmother was the first to suggest that I start the day out with a mug of warm water and the juice of half a lemon. So what did my uneducated grandmother know that I didn't?
Well here you go.
Lemon water has many medicinal values, as well as its benefits for cleansing the body, stimulating the liver, and improving digestion and elimination. Lemon water also helps to alkalize the body and control the proliferation of unhealthy bacteria and viruses.
The following is a brief summary of a few of the key health benefits of drinking lemon water regularly.
1. Boosts Your Immune System - Lemons are high in Vitamin C which helps against fighting cold.
2. Controls Blood Pressure - Lemons have a high level of potassium which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
3. Balances pH - Lemons containcitric acid but do not create acidity in the body once metabolized. In fact lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around; therefore by consuming lemon juice you reduce your overall body's acidity. The key to good health is having an alkaline body.
4. Helps Digestion - Lemon encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion. It helps flush out unwanted materials. Drinking lemon with warm water stimulates the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis - the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving allowing food to digest properly. With an efficient digestion, you also reduce the odds of heartburn and constipation.
5. It is Diuretic - Lemons increase the rate of urination, which in turn helps purify it. Toxins are therefore released at a faster rate which in turn helps your urinary tract to stay healthy.
6. Healthy Skin - Vitamin C which is also present in lemons helps decrease wrinkles. Lemon water eliminates toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clean and clear. It can also be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
7. Freshens Breath - not only does lemon juice help freshen breath, but it also helps relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. The citric acid within the lemon juice, erodes tooth enamel.
8. Relieves Respiratory Problems - Lemon helps clear chest infections and common coughs. It also helps with asthma and various allergies.
9. Reduces Coffee Intake - Taking lemon juice with hot water, especially in the morning, replaces your morning crave for that caffeine dosage that you call your "morning coffee".
10. Weight Loss - It has been proven that people who maintain an alkaline diet lose weight faster. By helping the body eliminate waste products and toxins easier, lemon juice cleanses the body and helps the weight loss process to begin. Lemons are also high in pectin fiber which helps tackle those hunger cravings we occasionally have.
11. Energizes Your Body - The energy that we receive from food is in the form of atoms and molecules. A reaction occurs when the positive charged ions from food enter the digestive tract and interact with the negative charged enzymes. Lemon is one of the few foods that contain more negative charged ions which provide your body with more energy when entering the digestive tract.
If you are willing to implement just one small activity and make it a habit in your life, then drinking warm lemon juice in the morning should be on top of your list. With all the benefits mentioned above it really is worth the while of taking up this activity and adding it to your daily habits.